Intermountain Healthcare Spanish Medical Interpreter - Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah
Greater Salt Lake area
What does it mean to be a part of Intermountain Healthcare? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And it’s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary together .
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
Provides both verbal and written language interpretation for patient, families and staff.
Essential Job Duties
- 1. Provides complete and accurate interpretation for patients, families, and facility/hospital staff in order to facilitate communication.
- 2. Uses communication methods appropriate for patient developmental age and mental condition.
- 3. Assists patients/families and staff with sight translation of forms as required and is familiar with most commonly used medical terminology.
- 4. Demonstrates cultural sensitivity and renders unbiased interpretation to ensure an accurate exchange of information.
- 5. Adheres to accepted norms of professional ethics and Standards of Practice for Medical Interpreters, as well Intermountain Policies, Title VI, ADA, HIPAA and Joint Commission requirements.
- 6. Manages time productively, displaying a proactive approach to the job. Responds to requests (pagers/calls/vocera, etc.) in a timely manner, even when actively interpreting, and provides staff an estimated time of arrival for interpretation assignments. Refers staff to phone or video conferencing interpretation per guidelines.
- 7. Coordinates interpretation assignments with suppliers as needed. Keeps timely, accurate records of all interpretation encounters.
- 8. Uses computer, software, and internet tools for research, data entry, and other communication purposes within the work environment.
- 9. May provide translation services from the source language to the target language and vice versa, and completes translation assignments in a timely manner and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Entry Rate: $16.85 + (Based on Experience)
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Department: Language Services
- Additional Details: We have a Full Time - 40 hour a week Interpreter position open located at Primary Children's Hospital
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written command of both source and target language, as to reach a "Professional Performance" or level 3 in the ILR scale (or equivalent as approved by Manager).
- Demonstrated ability to perform consecutive, simultaneous and sight translation with a high degree of accuracy in both languages.
- Demonstrated proficiency of medical terminology in both languages.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast paced, high pressure environment.
- Note: Employee will successfully complete the following within six months of hire: 1) Pass Intermountain's medical interpretation exam, and 2) Obtain the Utah Medical Language Interpreter License (For supported languages, currently Spanish, Russian, Bosnian, Somali, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Navajo). For all other languages, provide certificate of completion for Bridging the Gap: Training for Medical Interpreters course. If these requirements are not met, the employee will be removed from the position.
- Hearing/Listening, Speaking
- Bachelor's Degree
- State Certified Medical Language Interpreter License
- Two years of college and two years of experience as a professional medical interpreter.
- Completion of medical terminology course.
- National Certification for Medical Interpreters
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 40
Primary Work Location Primary Children's Hospital
Expertise Family Services / Mental Health
Job Type Full Time
Location US-UT-Salt Lake City