Intermountain Healthcare Medical Asst II/Medical Scribe- American Fork-24 hrs/week in American Fork, Utah
Greater Provo area
What does it mean to be a part of Intermountain Healthcare? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And it’s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary together .
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
A Medical Assistant II/Medical Scribe assisting Physicians and other licensed providers to provide quality patient care efficiently and cost effectively, facilitates patient flow and ensure an accurate and complete medical record for each patient efficiently and cost effectively. The Medical Assistant II/Scribe functions under the clinic manager and providers within the clinical setting.
Essential Job Duties
1. Medical Assistant II:
a. Performs basic clerical and office duties, including:
i. Assembles necessary documents and supplies.
- ii. Schedules, coordinates and monitors appointments, inpatient/outpatient admissions, tests and treatments/procedures.
- iii. Maintains inventory of supplies, ordering and restocking as needed to ensure availability for patient care.
- iv. Accurately documents patient history, physical and vital information into the medical record.
b. Performs clinical functions within acceptable standards of care including:
i. Prioritizes and screens patient needs, identified through phone, electronic and walk-in communication, in accordance with established guidelines and protocols.
- ii. Recognizes and appropriately responds to emergency situations.
- iii. Prepares and maintain examination and treatment areas.
- iv. Performs complete intake process as specified by physician or other providers (chief complaint, history, vital signs, height, weight, OFC, care process model data, etc.).
- v. Administers screening tests to patients (i.e. visual tests, audiology, spirometry, EKGs, etc.) within practice type.
- vi. Assists provider with examinations, procedures, treatments and interventions.
- vii. Provides patient education as directed (content reflects specific MA training, guidelines, care process models, protocols).
- viii. Reports significant changes in patient condition or other pertinent patient information to the Physician.
- ix. Following provider instructions, demonstrates accurate, timely and efficient follow through with pharmacy refills, scheduling out of clinic procedures, obtaining, reporting and tracking of lab results, leaving phone messages and distributing faxes.
2. Medical Scribe
a. Accurately and thoroughly documents medical visit and procedures as they are being performed by the physician, including but not limited to:
- b. Patient medical history and physical exam,
- c. Procedures and treatments performed by healthcare professionals, including nurses and physician assistants.
- d. Patient education and explanations of risks and benefits.
- e. Physician-dictated diagnoses, prescriptions and instructions for patient or family members for self-care and follow-up
- 3. Actively participates in quality improvement initiatives (i.e. CQI, TQM, Lean, 100% participation, etc.).
- 4. Maintains medical records and other information.
- 5. Under the direction of the provider, assigns procedural and diagnostic coding to encounter forms.
- 6. Conducts pre-authorizations, referrals, etc in accordance with third party insurer requirements.
- 7. Facilitates timely billing by completing the necessary documentation
- Entry Rate: $14.77
- Benefits Eligible: List Yes or No
- Shift Details: List Shift Details if desired
- Department: List Department/unit if desired
- Additional Details: List any other position Details desired
- Current Basic Life Support Certification (BLS) for healthcare providers.
- 3 years of LPN or RN experience, successful completion of an accredited LPN or RN program, and a current LPN or RN license or Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program or one with which Intermountain Healthcare has a valid affiliation agreement, or 3 years of Medical Assistant experience in an outpatient clinic or other healthcare setting.
- Ongoing need for employee to see and read information, labels, assess patient needs, operate monitors, identify equipment and supplies.
- Frequent interactions with patient care providers, patients, and visitors that require employee to verbally communicate as well as hear and understand spoken information, alarms, needs, and issues quickly and accurately, particularly during emergency situations.
- Manual dexterity of hands and fingers to manipulate complex and delicate equipment with precision and accuracy. This includes frequent computer use and typing for documenting patient care, accessing needed information, medication preparation, etc.
- Expected to lift and utilize full range of movement to transfer patients. Will also bend to retrieve, lift, and carry supplies and equipment. Typically includes items of varying weights, up to and including heavy items.
- Need to walk and assist with transporting/ambulating patients and obtaining and distributing supplies and equipment. This includes pushing/pulling gurneys and portable equipment, including heavy items. Often required to navigate crowded and busy rooms (full of equipment, power cords on the floor, etc).
- May be expected to stand in a stationary position for an extended period of time.
- Satisfactorily completes applicable competency assessments/skills checklists within 90 days of hire/transfer into Medical Assistant job.
- Current national MA certification from one of the following national MA certifications/registrations: Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) of AMT, National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA), Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA), or Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) of the AAMA.
- Experience in an outpatient clinic or other healthcare setting.
- Successful completion of a Medical Assistant internship.
- 6 months of Medical Scribe experience or related training.
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 36
Primary Work Location American Fork IM
Expertise Patient Care Support / Technicians
Job Type Part Time
Location US-UT-American Fork