Intermountain Healthcare Phlebotomist II - Layton Hospital - Full time in Layton, Utah
Greater Ogden & North Davis area
What does it mean to be a part of Intermountain Healthcare? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And it’s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary together .
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
The Phlebotomist II is responsible to collect patient specimens for medical diagnostic testing, perform moderately complex laboratory testing and may act as a Team Lead.
Essential Job Duties
- 1. Performs sample collection that may include: a. Venipuncture (evacuated systems, syringe, winged collection infusion sets); b. Capillary Puncture (finger, heel); c. Blood culture collections; d. Throat and/or Nasal Swabs.
2. Duties must include at least one of the following assigned functions:
a. Moderately complex laboratory testing.
- b. IV certified responsibilities (must be IV Certified).
- c. Demonstrates ability and draw from arterial lines.
- d. Prepares and processes samples for testing (including aliquoting, centrifugation, tracking).
- 3. Uses experience and skills to serve as a resource to other Phlebotomists and hospital staff. Mentors new staff.
- 4. Troubleshoots testing process issues and may lead process improvement initiatives.
- 5. Performs phlebotomy computer functions effectively and appropriately for assigned responsibilities.
- 6. Researches esoteric testing collection and understands sample integrity requirements.
- 7. Performs and documents quality assurance checks and provides correction/maintenance.
- 8. Responsible for pick-up and delivery of specimens throughout the facility.
- 9. Appropriately instructs patients and family members on sample collection.
- 10. May act as Team Lead which includes: Uses advanced skills to assist employees in difficult collection situations; fulfills some coordinator functions in the absence of the coordinator / supervisor; oversees work flow and adjusts workflow assignments; provides training / orientation to new staff; and investigates, records, and corrects errors.
- Entry Rate: $14.77
- Full time, 40 hours per week - Variable Shifts
- Benefits Eligible
- High School diploma or GED as needed for CLIA compliance.
- Basic Life Support certification (BLS) for healthcare providers.
- Phlebotomy training as approved by Manager/Supervisor or one year previous phlebotomy experience.
- Ability to work in a team environment under stressful situations.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts that may include weekends, holidays, and nights.
- Interact with patients, patients' family, patient care providers, and others requiring the employee to verbally communicate information, as well as understand spoken information.
- Operate computers and complex and delicate lab equipment with precision and accuracy requiring the ability to move fingers and hands.
- See and read lab equipment, labels, monitors, and documents.
- Walk while transporting phlebotomy equipment cart.
- Remain standing for long periods of time to perform work.
- Adjust body, including bending, to perform phlebotomy work.
- Demonstrated ability to teach concepts to others.
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 40
Primary Work Location Layton Hospital
Job Type Full Time