Intermountain Healthcare Medical Lab Technician (MLT) in Ogden, Utah
What does it mean to be a part of Intermountain Healthcare? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And it’s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary together .
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, the Medical Laboratory Technician is accountable for performing a variety of qualitative and quantitative laboratory tests, both manual and automated, of varying complexity to be utilized in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Essential Job Duties
- 1. Performs routine and STAT laboratory testing, reviews results, problem solves, and reports accurate and timely information. This may include transfusion work and microscopic exams.
- 2. Completes required quality control testing, maintains records and documentation necessary to fulfill regulatory agency requirements (CAP, CLIA, AABB, FDA, etc.), and takes appropriate corrective action as necessary.
- 3. Performs preventative maintenance, cleaning and calibration procedures according to SOPs and manufacturer's developed schedules.
- 4. Competently uses all appropriate Laboratory Information Systems.
- 5. Performs proficiency testing and achieves satisfactory results related to all specialties or areas worked.
- 6. Completes at least 15 hours per year of Continuing Medical Education (CME).
- 7. Provides appropriate instruction to patients and their family members.
- 8. As directed, provides appropriate training to new staff.
- 9. May help maintain supply inventory, notifying supervisor when supplies are low.
- Entry Rate: $18.78
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Shift Details: full-time swing shifts or as required for schedule needs.
- Department: Laboratory General McKay Dee Hospital
- Associates degree or at least 60 semester hours of an accredited MLT program along with national certification, MLT (ASCP or approved accrediting agency), or equivalent (military) certification as determined by Manager. Degree must be obtained through an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Experience in a clinical laboratory
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts that may include weekends, holidays and nights.
Med Tech Registered:
- Bachelors’ Degree in chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory/medical technology science. Degree must be obtained through an accredited institution. Education will be verified.
- Medical Technologist/Medical Lab Scientist certification or equivalent certification as approved by Manager and Human Resource. Certification must be maintained to remain in job.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills using email, telephone, and in person.
- Demonstrated basic computer skills.
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts that may include weekends, holidays, nights, and on-call.
- Interact with others requiring the employee to verbally communicate information.
- Operate computers and complex and delicate lab equipment requiring the ability to move fingers and hands.
- See and read lab equipment, monitors, and documents.
- Remain sitting or standing for long periods of time to perform work on a computer or other equipment.
- Experience with laboratory information systems.
- Phlebotomy experience.
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 40
Primary Work Location McKay-Dee Hospital
Job Type Full Time