Intermountain Healthcare Data Analyst-Statistical-Senior in Salt Lake City, Utah
Greater Salt Lake area
What does it mean to be a part of Intermountain Healthcare? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And it’s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary together .
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
This position engages in a variety of complex analytic projects that generate efficient end-to-end solutions for business and clinical initiatives. This position uses data science processes to enable operational improvement, strategy deployment, value improvement, care advancement, and increased patient safety and satisfaction. This position will be involved in all parts of the analytic development process including ideation, prototyping, analysis, interpretation, operationalization, and measurement of insights..
Essential Job Duties
This position contributes to system‐wide strategic initiatives using expertise in industry leading statistical & data science practices. This role will engage in analytic projects which span all areas of computational modeling and complexity to operationalize outcomes which support the mission, vision, and values of Intermountain Healthcare. The role is expected to collaborate with technical staff, management, and business operations staff throughout all phases of the analytics process. This individual serves as a highly respected consultant and collaborative thought leader both inside Intermountain Healthcare and to outside organizations.
- Decision Support and Population Health Analytics (DS-PHA) supports the development, implementation, and measurement of systems of care that assess the health needs of a target population and proactively provides and coordinates services to improve the health of that population. DS-PHA provides support for the following functions: integration of population health data, value improvement, standard quality service and cost metrics and measurement, risk scoring and severity adjustment, attribution methods, contract analysis, and new data source insight. DS-PHA utilizes data from across the healthcare system and across the continuum, including hospital, physician, and claims data.
- Demonstrates high-level knowledge of statistical analysis and modeling techniques and applies them in a healthcare industry setting to support strategic decision making. Runs machine learning and statistical models on data and demonstrates an understanding of model selection and outcomes.
- Assists with consultation to study investigators and business leaders in the areas of protocol development, study design, analysis plan, sample size / power calculations, and interpretation of study data. Applies statistical methods to drive new/original statistical insight.
- Assists in the preparation and submission of written documents or presentations for senior leadership or peer reviewed journals
- Uses appropriate analytic methods to research a loosely defined problem or hypothesis. Analyzes some predefined variables and some unknowns.
- Programs new statistics not available in vended software based on published statistical articles.
- Writes intermediate level ad hoc SQL, including basic selects, joins, use of Where clause and simple functions (e.g., Trunc, Sum, Min, Max, Avg, Concat, etc.). Demonstrates an understanding of Primary / Foreign Keys, Table/Field Aliases, and Partitions/Indexes to deliver high quality material.
- May train others on skills and competencies required for previous levels.
Provides project management / leadership as appropriate to drive timelines and deliverables.
Uses basic to high level statistical or analytical software skills in programs such as R, Python, SAS, SPSS, STATA to understand data.
Successfully manage a variety of complex enterprise level data science projects with little or no oversight.
- Serve as an expert on larger project teams requiring data science methods.
- Develop innovative analytic tools and methods that result in products and/or strategic insights with significant return on investment while meeting project requirements and timelines.
- Utilize diverse data stores to efficiently and accurately deliver high quality data for analysis.
- Prepare data for analytics including data mining and feature engineering within large datasets with complex data classes and anomalies.
- Employ advanced statistical techniques while effectively and accurately interpreting the results of quantitative models to achieve clear outcomes.
- Proficiently use statistical programming languages and tools appropriate for data science domains.
- Proficiently use scripting languages to work with API’s, move data, and construct custom enterprise grade software utilities, applications, or analytic products to automate, improve, and operationalize quantitative models.
- Develop and document process and metrics to monitor model performance and outcomes.
- Clearly and effectively communicate at all levels of the organization to explain and present methods and insights to non-technical business and clinical caregivers.
- Quickly learn and appropriately apply cutting edge advanced analytic methodologies and tools in creative and novel ways.
- Demonstrate curiosity and keep current with research literature and trends on innovative technical and analytical approaches to solve problems.
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Shift Details: Full-time
- Department: Decision Support
- Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Unfortunately, we are not currently considering candidates for this position that require visa sponsorship. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Master's Degree and three years of analytics experience.or Bachelor's Degree with five years of analytics experience. Degree must be obtained through an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Demonstrated proficiency and an advanced working knowledge of SQL (structured query language), quality improvement principles, and a solid knowledge of database design principles.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, analyzing, interpreting, and managing a variety of complex data sets.
- Demonstrated capabilities in planning, participating, and managing a variety of complex analytics projects.
- Demonstrated strong proficiency using word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet and e-mail, and scheduling applications, as well as statistical and analytical software systems such as R, Python,SAS, SPSS, Statit, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in a role requiring effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Solid experience using industry standard BI, statistical, or analytical tools and technologies.
- Demonstrated applied understanding of data visualization design best practices.
- Interact with others requiring the employee to verbally communicate information.
- Operate computers and other IT equipment requiring the ability to move fingers and hands.
- See and read computer monitors and documents
- Remain sitting or standing for long periods of time to perform work on a computer, telephone, or other equipment.
- Degree(s) earned are in a related field such as statistics, data science, applied mathematics, computer science, information systems, or other quantitative and computational discipline.
- History of strong work in the field of data science, including measured outcomes from the development and deployment of algorithms, applications, and/or products.
- Deep applied understanding of multiple statistical techniques and methods such as predictive analytics, spatial statistics, supervised and unsupervised machine learning, cluster analysis, unstructured data analysis, factor analysis, simulation modeling, inferential statistics, generalized linear models, non-linear regression, tree based classification, network analysis, text mining, image mining, Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data analytics, and natural language processing,
- Ability to program and review code using statistical and data software tools like R, Python, Spark, Scala, SAS, MATLAB, Octave, JMP, Java, C++, C#, PL/SQL, SQL, MapReduce, ArcGIS, etc.
- Experience consulting and coaching leaders, customers, and peers on data analysis best practices, trends, tools, and techniques.
- Experience using and/or creating API’s, functions, libraries, and/or packages.
- Experience successfully using Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, NoSQL, in-memory data stores, etc., and Cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, etc.
- Demonstrated successful projects working with advanced data analysis in a healthcare or insurance setting.
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 40
Primary Work Location Central Offices
Expertise Information Technology
Job Type Full Time
Location US-UT-Salt Lake City