Intermountain Healthcare Hospitalist Coordinator - Intermountain Medical Center (PRN) in Salt Lake City, Utah
Greater Salt Lake area
What does it mean to be a part of Intermountain Healthcare? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And it’s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary together .
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
The Hospitalists Coordinator position is responsible for coordinating and organizing, the clinical care provided to inpatients under the Hospitalists Service. This is a clinically supportive role that facilitates, directs and assigns patient loads, new admissions, and organizes logistics for physicians rounding of patients.
Essential Job Duties
- Reviews hospitalists' patient census and uses clinical expertise to divide patient loads to create work-list each day, which includes reviewing on-going census changes due to discharges and new admissions, reviewing pertinent patient information to facilitate physician rounding, and planning the day for physicians to see patients in an appropriate order.
- Organizes the logistics for physician rounds by gathering paperwork, forms, medication reconciliation, and prepares orders and prescriptions for discharging patients by obtaining patient information, preferred pharmacy, preferred place to obtain follow up labs etc, at the direction of the physician.
- Maintains appropriate communication with community physicians and assists the Hospitalist's with appropriate hand-off. Screens and where appropriate answers questions from patients and families post discharge. Field questions from pharmacies, mortuaries, etc. and appropriately fill out forms for death certificates and billing requests.
- Works with physicians and patients to actively improve patient engagement and patient satisfaction scores by answering questions in ways patients can understand, spending time alleviating family and patient concerns, and providing written information and resources.
- Uses resources effectively and looks for ways to reduce cost while maintaining positive clinical and service outcomes. Works with Hospitalists, Case Management, and Social Services to identify barriers to care, reduce length of stay and decrease cost.
- Role models and fosters an environment of professionalism and personal engagement in the department and hospital by treating each other with mutual respect and working with physicians, members of the interdisciplinary team, and management to create a dynamic environment that fosters trust and feedback.
- Works with Physicians to develop standardized processes and approach for treatment for various diseases using evidence based medicine. Provides physician reminders for consistent, quality practice.
- Works to represent Intermountain Healthcare in a positive way by explaining the hospitalists' role to patients and families in a way they can understand. Reinforces Hospitalists role, manages up each physician, and thoroughly describes Primary Care Provider and Hospitalists relationship to patients and families.
- Participates in opportunities to market the hospitalists program to outlying clinics.
- Performs follow up phone calls on discharged patients to ensure the patient's questions are answered and concerns or questions are met.
- Benefits Eligible: No
- Shift Details: PRN, as needed
- Department: Intermountain Medical Center Hospitalist Office
- Current RN License in state of practice.
- Basic Life Support Certification (BLS) for healthcare providers.
- 2 years of clinical hospital experience.
- Basic computer experience.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing required or willing to obtain by June 2022. ** Note: Anyone hired or promoted into R.14 grade on or after July 1, 2017 must obtain their BSN degree on or before June 1, 2022. After that date in June 2022, all future promotions to grade R14 will require a BSN.
- Ongoing need for employee to see and read information, labels, monitors, identify equipment and supplies, and be able to assess patient needs.
- Frequent interactions with patient care providers, patients, and visitors that require employee to verbally communicate as well as hear and understand spoken information, alarms, needs, and issues quickly and accurately, particularly during emergency situations.
- Manual dexterity of hands and fingers to manipulate complex and delicate equipment with precision and accuracy. This includes frequent computer use and typing for documenting patient care, accessing needed information, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited institution.
- Experience in training and auditing procedures.
- Clear understanding of health care products, ethics policies, and internal processes.
- Working knowledge of IDX, Clinical Workstation, AS400, LINC, OVID, and the Int.
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 0
Primary Work Location Intermountain Medical Center
Job Type On-Call / PRN
Location US-UT-Salt Lake City