Intermountain Healthcare Registered Nurse (Nutritional Support) - Intermountain Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah
Greater Salt Lake area
What does it mean to be a part of Intermountain Healthcare? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And it’s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary together .
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
An exciting opportunity exists with an unusual degree of professional independence and patient involvement. Your critical thinking skills will contribute to our multi-disciplinary team approach in providing optimal specialized nutrition care in the outpatient clinic setting. Develop knowledge in metabolic monitoring of inpatients and outpatients on TPN or tube feedings. Assist in writing the TPN orders for TPN dependent patients through protocols. Responsibilities include assessing patient's needs, electrolyte and fluid management, and monitoring patients throughout the completion of specialized nutrition therapies.
Interface as a case manager in the hospital setting for discharge planning in preparation for home TPN therapy. Work closely with the team’s Nurse Practitioner in following outpatients receiving home TPN or tube feedings, act as a key player in the success of the outpatient team and assists with managing the outpatient Nutrition Support Clinic. Acts as an expert resource for patients regarding vascular access devices and feeding tubes.
Essential Job Duties
- Provides quantitative and qualitative nutrition assessment. Establishes nutrition care plan for patients receiving enteral or parenteral nutrition. Communicates nutrition assessment findings to healthcare team. Participates effectively in interdisciplinary healthcare teams, including patient rounds.
- Functions as an autonomous practitioner, including consultation with healthcare team as appropriate, writing and/or obtaining orders for enteral or parenteral formulations, and placement of nasal bridles. Identifies need for and seeks MD/Provider intervention when appropriate.
- Monitors and evaluates patient?s clinical and metabolic response to specialized nutrition support. Adjusts regimens on basis of response to therapy, clinical condition, and nutritional parameters. Completes reassessments as appropriate, and documents results of evaluation and recommendations in the medical record.
- Acts as a resource for vascular access devices and enteral access devices. Evaluates current research findings and integrates into practice as appropriate.
- Provides continuity of care as patients transition to the home setting. Provides and documents appropriate nutrition education to patients and family. Monitors and intervenes appropriately for home therapies as necessary.
- Demonstrates professionalism by mentoring other staff and students in the specialization of nutrition support and vascular access. Maintains knowledge of current literature and research findings, contributes to the development of new knowledge, and participates in quality improvement activities to promote excellence in nutrition care outcomes.
- May be required to develop and maintain competencies in advanced skills (ie PICC insertion certification with ultrasound, enteral tube insertion, and radiographic interpretation of access device location).
- Demonstrates fiscal accountability by selecting the most cost and time effective product or regimen when appropriate and by evaluating actions/decisions in regard to cost effectiveness for supplies, time utilization and team resources.
- Entry Rate: DOE
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Shift Details: Monday through Friday 830AM-430PM, rotating weekend call coverage
- Department: Nutritional Support - Intermountain Medical Center
- Preferred: Vascular access experience
- Home health nursing experience is a plus
- Two years recent hospital RN experience
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited institution (degree will be verified).
- Current Utah license as a Registered Nurse.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification for healthcare providers.
- Minimum of one year experience as an RN in a hospital setting.
- Demonstrated individual practice, delegation and problem solving skills.
- Computer knowledge in word processing and nutrition related programs.
- Ongoing need for employee to see and read information, labels, assess patient needs, operate monitors, identify equipment and supplies.
- Frequent interactions with patient care providers, patients, and visitors that require employee to verbally communicate as well as hear and understand spoken information, alarms, needs, and issues quickly and accurately, particularly during emergency situations.
- Manual dexterity of hands and fingers to manipulate complex and delicate equipment with precision and accuracy. This includes frequent computer use and typing for documenting patient care, accessing needed information, medication preparation, etc.
- Expected to lift and utilize full range of movement to transfer patients. Will also bend to retrieve, lift, and carry supplies and equipment. Typically includes items of varying weights, up to and including heavy items.
- Need to walk and assist with transporting/ambulating patients and obtaining and distributing supplies and equipment. This includes pushing/pulling gurneys and portable equipment, including heavy items. Often required to navigate crowded and busy rooms (full of equipment, power cords on the floor, etc).
- May be expected to stand in a stationary position for an extended period of time.
- Current Certified Nutrition Support Clinician (CNSC).
- Previous experience with outpatient care, monitoring or education.
- Vascular access expertise.
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 40
Primary Work Location Intermountain Medical Center
Job Type Full Time
Location US-UT-Salt Lake City